Janesville Performing Arts Center is now Travel Green Wisconsin certified!
What does this mean?
This means that we are doing our part, in conjunction with the Wisconsin Department of Tourism’s Travel Green Wisconsin program, to be a green organization, by way of our energy, water, and air conservation, our community benefits, our innovative energy practices, our waste reduction, reuse, and recycling efforts, and our impact on future generations.
Here are a few ways in which we became certified:
- Using automatic faucets in the restrooms
- Using native, non-invasive species of plants in our landscaping
- Buying paper and cleaning supplies in bulk
- Having motion light sensors in the restrooms
- Using low-flow toilets and urinals in the restrooms and dressing rooms
- Using energy efficient kitchen appliances
- Using electric hand dryers in the restrooms
- Lighting the theatre and gallery spaces only when they are occupied
- Providing the community with a service that helps strengthen the local economy (90% of our patrons, sponsors, performers are local)
- Utilizing our downtown location, to promote alternative forms of transportation to and from shows, such as walking, bike-riding, bus, taxi, and carpooling
- Using 30% or more post-consumer paper products on all of our marketing materials (this is upheld by our user groups as well)
- Having changed 35% of our incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) including in the lobby and in both dressing rooms
- Heating and cooling of the theatre and gallery spaces only when they are occupied
- Having plastic JPAC cups available to purchase and reuse upon the patron’s next visit to the theatre
The Janesville Area Convention & Visitors Bureau is also a Travel Green Wisconsin certified organization. Please check out their website.